Top five summer styles using Dyson personal care technology
Dyson Global Education Manager Amy Johnson shares her top five summer styles and how to achieve them using Dyson personal care technology.
30 June 2020
Bangs & Fringes
Ideal for all hair types
With limited access to hairdressers, grown out fringes and unruly bangs are a summer reality for many. A fringe can also require more maintenance than one may first anticipate. Here’s how to keep fringes in frame:
- Always blow dry the fringe after washing – leaving it to dry natural can cause annoying kinks or misdirected hair strands, resulting in a fringe that just won’t sit right
- When blow drying, try lifting the roots up with a brush until the hair is almost dry. Then blast air downwards on top of the fringe to loosen and soften the shape. This will give a little volume and help the fringe sit more naturally. The Dyson SupersonicTM hair dryer with Styling Concentrator attachment or the Dyson AirwrapTM styler with Volumizing Brush attachment are perfect for this
- To add shape and style, for those gorgeous sweeping bangs, the fringe needs to be shaped away from the face. Using the Dyson CorraleTM straightener, bend the ends of the fringe outwards and sweep them away to the sides of the face
- Alternatively, use the Dyson AirwrapTM styler Curling Barrels with the arrows pointing away from the face. This method utilizes the Coanda technology within the tool to do the hard styling work
Smooth & Sleek
Ideal for all hair types
As we look to take greater care of our health and wellbeing at this time, hair health is also ever more front of mind. For those looking to reduce heat exposure when styling, particular more sensitive hair types, the Dyson CorraleTM straightener is engineered to deliver enhanced styling with half the damage. The unique flexing plate technology shapes to gather hair. It’s also cord-free, allowing users to achieve outstanding style, anywhere at any time. Smooth, sleek looks are the ideal look to create with the tool.
- After washing your hair, apply a style cream and begin to blow dry your hair smooth with the Dyson SupersonicTM hair dryer with wide tooth comb attachment for hair types three and four, alternatively the Dyson AirwrapTM styler with Smoothing Brush attachment. Blow drying the hair first will maximize the smoothness and help prolong the style
- Once dry, brush the hair through to remove any tangles.
- Next, section the hair into manageable pieces, tying or clipping away the top sections first.
- Prepare the Dyson CorraleTM straightener by choosing the desired heat setting for the hair type. Allow the tool to reach this temperature.
- Take each section – sections should be a similar size to the plates to allow the strands to spread evenly across them – and place the straightener close to the roots and glide through to the ends at a medium speed
- Reduce the heat setting for hairline sections. To get closer to the roots, take sections at an angle
- Finish with a holding styling product to fix the style in place and increase style longevity
Curls & Waves
Ideal for hair types two and three
Embracing natural hair texture and shapes is a popular summer trend as we come to adopt a more laid-back lifestyle. Using the Dyson SupersonicTM hair dryer, diffuser attachment, is an ideal, effortless way to create waves and curls that celebrate hair’s natural shape. The diffuser attachment is engineered to disperse air evenly to mimic air drying, reducing frizz and delivering defined curls.
- After washing, gentle squeeze the excess water from the hair using an old T-shirt (fluffy towels and rubbing can encourage frizz and break up the natural texture of the hair
- Apply a moisturizing cream to hydrate the natural waves and curls – be generous when doing this
- Next, take a wide tooth comb and smooth through the hair.
- With the diffuser attachment, set the Dyson SupersonicTM hair dryer to a low airflow. This will keep the hairs natural movement intact and defined, without disrupting the natural shape
- Select a heat setting based on the thickness of the hair – low for thin hair, medium for medium density and high for thick hair
- Dry the top off your hair first to maintain volume. This can be done by tipping the head upside down and rough drying at the roots
- Now take sections of the hair and place them into the diffuser. When placing the hair into the diffuser, hold the hair close to the scalp for minimal movement. Try not to rotate and move the diffuser once in place, this will cause excess frizz and disrupt the natural curls
- Repeat this all over the head until completely dry. Then repeat this technique using the cold shot to fix your waves and curls in place for maximum style retention
- Finally, use a light serum to define and position waves and curls into the final desired style
Texture & Coils
Ideal for hair type four
Styling with a wide tooth comb is the ideal way to achieve shape and length or volume and shape for those with T3/T4 hair. Using the Dyson SupersonicTM hair dryer, wide tooth comb attachment is engineered specifically for curly and coily hair types. The teeth of the comb are round-tipped and flexible, whilst being held together on a flexible bar, which allows the comb to comfortably adapt to the shape of the scalp and detangle hair.
- After washing separate the hair into medium sections and apply a generous amount of leave in conditioner
- Gently tease out any knots and tangles with a wide tooth comb, starting at the ends first and working towards the roots
- Once detangled, apply a little more leave in conditioner and the spray the hair with water if needed
- Take the Dyson SupersonicTM hairdryer with wide tooth comb attachment and begin to stretch and loosen the hair as you dry. If your hair is very long, don’t over stretch the hair.
- Repeat this process throughout the head. When reaching the top of the hair, stretch the hair forward to avoid flatness
- One dry, use a wide tooth comb or pick to position and arrange the curls around the face, adding final touches to the style
Sleek Low Bun
Ideal for all hair types
Washing the hair less frequently is something many are embracing whilst living in lockdown, yet also seeking to look good and feel great. Utilize the natural oils in the hair with this effortlessly chic low bun look. With a range of attachments tailored for all styles and hair types, the Dyson AirwrapTM styler is the ideal tool for restyling hair between washes, delivering great styling results quickly and with ease, whilst maintaining hair health. This super simple and low maintenance style is ideal for those washing hair less frequently in lockdown. The natural oils will give the illusion of super shiny hair, whilst the Intelligent Heat Control technology within the Dyson Airwrap styler helps to prevent excessive heat damage.
- Start by dampening down any flyaways with a little water
- Next, use the Dyson AirwrapTM styler with smoothing brush attachment to smooth down any frizz and stretch out curls, whilst setting the parting into place
- Using an elastic band, secure the hair into a low ponytail at the back of the head towards the nape of the neck, drawing the hair down evenly at both sides, smoothing neatly over the top of the ears
- Twist the ponytail into a bun and fix into place with hair pings and a spritz of holding spray
- Tackle any flyaways by spritzing a little holding spray onto a toothbrush and brushing flyaways into place